Date and Time
September 8th 2022 All Day
Since 1967, International Literacy Day (ILD) celebrations have taken place annually around the world to remind the public of the importance of literacy as a matter of dignity and human rights, and to advance the literacy agenda towards a more literate and sustainable society. Despite progress made, literacy challenges persist with at least 773 million adults worldwide lacking basic literacy skills today.
Looking for ways to advance the cause of literacy in your corner of the world? Check out the suggestions below!
1. Use your newsletter to spread the word about the importance of literacy.
2. Give a book as a gift. Include a note about the importance of literacy.
3. Establish a book discussion group.
4. Form a reading promotion partnership with a nearby public library or another basic skills/literacy program.
5. Learn about and support local literacy projects or programs in your area.
6. Sponsor book awards.
7. Organize an essay contest about “a book that changed my life.”
8. Sponsor a book-collecting drive; give books to nursing homes, schools, adult literacy programs.
9. Sponsor book readings with local authors or local celebrities reading from their favourite books.
10. Attend readings at your local library or bookstore.
11. Publicize and distribute lists of recommended books for readers of all ages.
#ILD #ILD2022 #TLEILD